Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 40

Eat Sleep Ride Repeat

We are at that stage of the ride.  Nearly everyone is tired and a little homesick.  I know I am.  Some riders claim that they'll burn their tents in D.C.  Between the dead mosquitoes and the locker room smell in some, I don't blame them.

I took one picture today on our rest day.  It consisted of my dream fleet for bike ride support vehicles.  Speed, storage, and firepower--nothing could stop us!

Dead time for the dead tired was the plan for the day.  We got back from the Indians game well past midnight last night and awoke to an early (a very bright) sunrise this morning. 

We had to catch a cab to Burton last night from Cleveland.  If you go to Cleveland sometime ask someone where Burton is located.  Nobody seems to have heard of it although it is only about 30 miles away.  Even the cab driver and his dispatcher had to look it up.  They quoted us $96 to take us home--we paid it.

Burton is home to Ohio's oldest fair.  It is held on the 150-acre Geauga County Fairgrounds where we were staying.  Apparently, nobody from Cleveland ever goes or even know that the fair exists.  The cab driver looked a little apprehensive when we got there.  He kept saying, "This looks familiar, right?"  I think he thought we were going to mug him when we told him to turn into the darkened fairgrounds.

Geauga is an Indian name for raccoon.  Some of the locals in Burton call it "Raccoon County".  There is even a music festival that uses that name.  I didn't see any raccoons while we were here, but I didn't see anyone from Cleveland either.

As I said yesterday, one rider ended up in the hospital yesterday.  I found out that the injury came from a low-speed collision with another Big Rider.  She's fine.

On a more serious note, we sent two more riders to the hospital today.  The details are not clear, but one had a seizure and the other was sick, disoriented, and probably dehydrated.  I don't know if they'll be returning to camp today.

As for me, I'm tired but OK.  In a couple of days we get to Pennsylvania.  We only have 7 riding days left and less than 500 miles to go. My bike needs work but should make it OK.  We tried to fix my shifter today but were unsuccessful.  Sue is letting borrow her spare until D.C.   In general, the folks on this ride are very generous with their gear.

Early to bed tonight.  I miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment