Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 31

After yesterday's ride we went back to uneventful.   Amazingly enough, there was more to yesterday that I left out. We also had our first crash, too.  Everyone is sworn to secrecy, so I can't identify the rider.  It happened in a paceline.  As I've explained before, because of accidents in previous rides, we are not supposed to paceline.  Everyone does it, some more that others.  I jump in occasionally because the speed is exciting, but I didn't do this ride just to go across the country looking at someone's back tire.  Fortunately, the rider wasn't hurt badly--just a few scrapes and bruises.

I got in another century ride today.  I think it was my 6th.  It is odd to think that I've never ridden 100 miles in a day before-- now I've done six in a month.  This ride was hard.  We had a slight headwind, it was hot and humid, and I just felt fatigued. 

I was also really excited to see my wife in Madison.  We had a day off coming and I still had all this pedalling to do, it was hot, humid, and I was tired.  So what does a bad boy do in that environment?  I jumped in a paceline.  I know, I said that I didn't want to have the world go by watching the rear tire of the rider in front of me.  Well, I wanted to get to Madison.

Madison is a busy town.  It is the capital of Wisconsin and home the the University of Wisconsin.  On the capital lawns the Madison symphony was playing Beatles music.  There were people everywhere on the lawn and sidewalks.  It was fantastic.

Callene and I walked around town.  Madison is a great place in the summer.  I'm thankful that I'm doing the ride.  I can't see us taking a vacation to go to places like Madison, but now that I'm here, I'm really enjoying it.  They have stuff going on all over town-- and it's Wednesday.  What a cool town.

I have a day off tomorrow to catch up with my wife who I haven't seen in a month.  Life is good.






1 comment:

  1. What a great picture of you and Callene ! Looks like you two are having fun being tourists in Madison. D.C. is just up the hill, down the hill and around the corner :)

    Love,
    Lily

    ReplyDelete