Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 23

I didn't take one picture on the road today.  Nada, zilch, nuttin'...We basically road due east on Hwy. 14 from Pierre to Miller, SD.  There was only wheat, soy bean, and corn along the way.  And wind..., did I mention wind?   It sucked.

Mike and I rode together the entire way.  This is the first time we really worked together.  I'm not sure I would have had the energy to pull this ride on my own.  We rode due east trading off in the lead into a 15 mph headwind that gusted to 33 mph.  At least that what it said on a TV in a gas station along the way.  We managed to average 13.0 mph for the 74 miles.   I was so pooped at the end that I unpacked my gear and took a nap without eating.  Tomorrow's forecast looks better.  We still have 3 days riding before a rest day.

As difficult as some of the rides have been, I don't want to give the impression that I'm not having fun.  I really am.  I've made a good friend in Mike and the rest of the group gets along pretty well for people who, for the most part, just met each other.  It's your typical mix of serious, goofy, eccentric, and odd.  Some have money, some are unemployed.  The nice thing is that there is not a weak rider in the group.


We've stayed in a variety of places.  On the rest days we are normally in college dorms.  On the riding days we usually camp in parks, football fields or go inside in high school gymnasiums.  Last night we camped in a beautiful park on the Missouri River in Pierre.

Tonight we sleep roughly 30 miles short of the halfway point in the ride.  Based upon what I done so far, would I do it again?  Probably not, it has been hard to be away from my family and friends.  Am I glad I did it this time?  Absolutely!  This is an experience that I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment