Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 35

I slept for 9 hours last night and I still woke up feeling weary.  Everyone was feeling that way and we held off breakfast until 6:30 am--just like sleeping in.  We usually like to get out really early but nobody was complaining today.

The weather had improved but we were faced a headwind all day. The carrot at the end of the ride was our last dorms of the Big Ride at Valparaiso. 

We crossed from Illinois to Indiana near the 50 mile mark.  There was no state sign going into Indiana so we made up our own on a whiteboard. 


Indiana has the reputation for having the worst roads along the ride.  They didn't disappoint us.
The roads were mostly busted up along the right side of the travelway--just where the bikes had to ride.  There were a few interactions and salutes between bikes are cars along the way.  Luckily, I didn't have any trouble.  I actually finished the day feeling pretty good.

If these posts seem a little shorter than normal it is because I'm pretty beat.  By tomorrow we will have completed nearly 400 miles in the last 4 days.  After that, we will still have 3 days to go until a rest day.

There are only 10 riding days left in the whole trip.  Sometimes I'm ready to be done, other times I still find myself really enjoying the ride.

3 comments:

  1. The amazing weather in your neighborhood has been in the news back here. Was getting a little worried so I'm glad you guys made it through ok. Can't believe how far you've ridden. I don't have to adjust the scale much now on the Bing Maps in order to see DC. You're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For all of your hard work so far, Herr Larry and I will drink a beer tonight in your honor! 14 more sleeps and you will be back to Olalla !!!!

    Love,
    Frau Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the guy with the totaled bike? Did he have to go home or was he able to buy one at the next stop??

    Hope your next week flies by pleasantly!

    ReplyDelete