Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 36

A survival day.  Everyone has one once in a while.  Today was such a day.  Livin' life by the 25's--I'll explain in a minute.

We rode 109 miles to Kedallville, Indiana.  It was uneventful, relatively flat, long, hot, boring, taxing and humid.  It kicked my rear--not because it was particularly difficult, but the fatigue of the Big Ride is settling in.  I'm just tired and sore.

The highlights of the trip were a crashed airplane in a corn field and passing the Amish carts on the roadway.  Neither were especially exciting, but it's all the pictures that I have.

I almost got a picture of an Amish guy with a chainsaw.  Now, that would have been a good picture.

My commute to work is about 12.5 miles.  If I take the scenic detour I can make the ride last 25 miles. I like to go that way, so 25 miles becomes my reference point.  It's familiar and comfortable.  I can handle 25 miles quite well.

The one lesson that I've learned from the Big Ride is to break big problems into little ones.  I didn't look at a 109 mile ride in its totality, I see it as four 25 miles rides (plus a little).  I can handle that.  I made it--livin' life by the 25's.

I broke a shifter cable with 10 miles left to go.  That meant I basically rode a 1-speed for the last few miles.  It wasn't that hilly, but it hurt. 

Just before our camping spot were rode past some bighorn cattle.  This big fella seemed to take a special interest in me.  Some thought it was my bright red jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment