Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 39

The transition from uneventful to just plain fun was a quick one.  It probably would have started earlier taken in the Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, but I just wasn't up for it.  I'd been biased by reading blogs from other Big Rides where so many got sick on the next riding day following the roller-coaster fest.  It appeared to take some toll today as two riders ended up sagging.  This is the first sags we've had since Minnesota.  However, most of the riders who went suffered no ill effects.

The route from Sandusky to Cleveland took us along the south shore of Lake Erie.  In the top picture on the right you can see Cleveland in the distance.

Andy took an unadvised dip in the lake.  Unfortunately, he missed the warning sign on the stairway leading to the beach.  I showed him the sign when he got out of the water.  He wasn't a happy camper.  I hope he didn't drink any of it.  It would not be funny to survive a bike smashing by a multi-ton vehicle only to be taken down by a microbe at the end of the ride.
Anyway, the weather was nice.  There was quite a breeze coming off the lake.  Since it was mainly a cross wind it really didn't effect the ride except to keep us cool.

The area surrounding Cleveland looked somewhat depressed, but the city itself was less run-down than I expected.  The waterfront is well-developed with restaurants, sports stadiums, and the rock and roll hall of fame.  I didn't have time to take the full tour so I did a quick look in the free areas and played a little air-bike out front.

We've been a little spoiled riding through corn country because their have been few hills.  That changed quickly after Cleveland.  The 40-some miles that we rode from Cleveland to our campsite in Burton was very hilly.  Some of the hills were about 10% in grade.

Four of us decided to take in a Cleveland Indians game so we rode hard to Burton just so we could get back to the city.  It took a lot out of my legs but it was worth it.

I've always admired the Indians organization because of the loyalty of their fans.  I've seen the guy on the right several times on TV and was pleased to get my picture with him.  I was also going to get my picture with the guy in the cheap seats who bangs the drums but my legs were opposed to the hike.  After a couple rounds of Tricky Dog Brewery's Old Leghumper beers I forgot about that mission completely.

In the middle innings of the game the Yankees broke it open.  I was impressed that so many of the Indians fans stayed until the end.  I'm not sure whether it was fan loyalty or the fact that A-Rod was going for his 600th home run that kept fans in the seats.  He didn't hit a home run but the Yankees won 11-4 anyway.

In the 8th inning we moved down to some open front row seats.  Mike, my new riding buddy, is a Yankee fan.  He kept saying, "Front row seats, the Yankees are winning, and Ol' Leghumper beer...it just doesn't get any better that this".  


1 comment: