Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 24

Breakfast usually starts between 6 and 7 am. Today we started at 6:30 am. The later start times are usually on the days we expect the ride time to be shorter than normal. Today was such a day. A wind shift of a mere 30-35 degrees turned yesterdays brutal headwind into a helping hand. With any effort we could have covered the 77 miles in 4 hours. We averaged 18.2 mph and reached De Smet still feeling fresh and ready for more.

Chocolate Mateys are a popular breakfast cereal for Big Riders. I won’t eat the crap, as they appear to be some weird hybrid of Cap’n Crunch, Cocopuffs, and Fruit Loops. Nasty stuff—and this comes from a guy who was willing to try rocky mountain oysters dipped in hot sauce in a bar a few towns back (maybe beer helps). My typical breakfast consists of yoghurt, a bagel with cream cheese, and a cup of coffee. Occasionally we have a second breakfast (like the Hobbits) at a diner. That’s usually eggs, hash browns, bacon, and toast.

We crossed the half-way point in Huron, SD early this morning. Bridgett, the tour leader, blasted Bon Jovi’s “We’re Living on a Prayer” at the crossing point because of the “..we’re halfway there..” lyrics. Geez, you pedal 1650 miles and you get to celebrate with chick music. Actually, it made me think of my wife. She loves Bon Jovi (one of her few faults). I called her up and gave her my own butchered karaoke version of the song. It will probably be the last time she’ll hear me sing Bon Jovi lyrics unless I’m making them nasty or something.


We camp tonight in De Smet, SD. The is the town Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote about in Little House on the Prairie. Honestly, everything in town is about the Ingalls. I guess that is the best they can do.  I attached a picture to show my typical routine of slaving at the computer to keep this blog going.  I hope you a appreciate the strenuous effort.

I've also dedicated a state seal and a motto for South Dakota.  The seal is in picture to the right (with the dreaded H's).  The motto shall read, "Sometimes you're the pig, ..and sometimes you're the cow."  Today we were the pigs.  It was a great ride.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for keeping your blog up to date Mark. I feel like I am doing the ride with you, but not nearly as worn out and sore at the end of the day as you are ! A lot of the ladies I walk with are also reading your blog and are enjoying your stories !!! I know down deep you LOVED that Bon Jovi song and it will probably be playing in your head for the next few days !!
    Love you, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I forgot to tell you in case you did not already know this... YOU ARE SUCH A STUD !!!!

    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you have your rest day in Minnesota you should rent a car and go shopping at the Mall of America. I know that is another item on your bucket list !!!!

    Love,
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on being halfway there!!

    ReplyDelete