Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 2

The second day started with breakfast in camp.  We had cereal, fruit and thick coffee. We took a pleasant route south of I90 from Easton to Ellensburg.  The weather was in the mid-70's --perfect!  We had a short climb early in the ride and I really felt it in the legs.  After that, the road to Ellensburg was pretty mellow as it followed the Yakima River.
In Ellensburg I had my first chocolate shake for the trip.  I've been told that chocolate milk is a great recovery drink.  I assume that goes for chocolate shakes, too.  My coach, Larry, would tell me to drink them 'cause its for my own good!
The second half of the day included a long grind up a hill through the windfarm northeast of Ellensburg.  Ride crewmember Frank was a welcome sight (notice the cat statue with a boa) at the top of the hill.  The rest of the day feature a long, windy descent into Vantage past several petrified wood museums (boring!).
I was in the first group to make it to Vantage.  We help unload the truck.  There were so many bags it seemed like the clown car at the circus.  The bags just kept coming!  I'm betting many riders ignored the two bag rule.  No complaints, I ignored the 70 lb per bag rule myself.
Today was a great riding day.  I averaged 14.4 mph for the 74 miles.  Tonight dinner in a cafe--no camp food.

No comments:

Post a Comment