Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 1

Our day starting out with a little introduction and celebration over the $175,000 raised by the 25 riders. The donations are still coming in and we may be near $200,000 by October when the donation window closes. I appreciate all the donations provided by my friends and family. I'll be at $7,000 by the end of the ride.



We began the ride at Seattle Pacific University and rode the Burke Gilman trail to Marymoor Park. The group stayed together for the majority of this segment. My wife and friends saw me off and appeared out of nowhere along several spots along the ride. It was very inspiring. The ride passed Snoqualmie Falls on the way to North bend. The best sight was spotting Larry, Marie, Tony, and Callene as I topped the 3200' Snoqualmie Pass. Larry even had a cold Red Stripe for me. It was the best beer I ever tasted.
After hugs, kisses, and goodbyes we were shuttled 8 miles around construction on I90. I rode the final miles to the Easton campground alone realizing what I'd gotten myself into, and missing my wife and buddies just a bit.




The when I got off the bike my computer registered 93 miles (minus the 8 mile shuttle) at an average speed of 13.3 mph. At camp we were met by veterans of past rides. They fed us fajitas and told us about their experiences. Every one of them wanted to do the Big Ride again.

No comments:

Post a Comment